Opus 1

Opus 1
beauty and truth

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Help I am locked IN!

I feel like my hands are tied behind my back, my mouth is taped shut, and I am screaming at the top of my lungs from the depths of some unknown closet with the door shut and the key has been carefully thrown away. I feel like I have SO much to say and no body is listening. And you feel the same way too!

Why is it that we don't listen to each other? If you really look we aren't having conversations. We are talking to ourselves. How many times do you go out with a friend and she says something lovely (or no so lovely) and you aren't listening at all, you are preparing your answer! What you are really feeling is that her experience isn't worth the listening but yours is, so you are saying 'listen to me instead'. (The "me" is running the show here and the "listening" is put on the back burner.) In the end, we are just out doing each other with a "well listen to this one" approach to conversation. But who is really listening? No one. Our spouses don't even listen. The dialogue is just a laundry list of how bad my day was compared to how bad your day was. And that's why we end up paying someone to listen to us. Enter the shrink. We pay people to listen because NO ONE DOES.

We aren't sharing with your friends. We are dumping our disastrous day on our near and dear ones because maybe we have taken on too much and maybe we have forgotten to appreciate just what we have. So, in our attempt to feel better and share, we begin the one way dialogue with ourselves because NO ONE IS LISTENING.

And this leaves us feeling like we want to scream. This becomes the catalyst for us writing blogs. The truth is we all have so much to say. We all have so many beautiful experiences and ideas to share. Don't miss out on your friends just listen to them. Give them your ear and unlock them from the depths of that closet. You hold the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment