Opus 1

Opus 1
beauty and truth

Sunday, March 28, 2010

a little friendliness goes a long way

I don't know where the words come from but they just land on me like a ton of bricks. It is like they were meant specifically for me and are given to me precisely at that very moment that I need to hear them. If I 'think' or 'try' I miss them completely and my efforts send me quickly into frustration or disappointment. I have to let them come in their own flow and trust where my fingers are taking me on the keyboard.

Yet, so often we censor the words that come to us. We may be saying or thinking one thing in our heads and then along comes 'the editing process' and only after careful editing do we finally speak or express.

We may find ourselves out with friends who are gossiping and inside our heads we think, 'I really don't see the value in talking like this,' or 'I fully disagree and find Sally Jones to possess lovely qualities just like you and I'. But what comes out of our body language is some bizarre head nod and, "Yeah, that's right." We sit there and watch ourselves agree with others when we fully disagree. Sometimes we are not even opposed, but we may want to offer another angle or viewpoint to the interaction and yet we suppress our true feeling or emotions. Why?

Have we lost our ability to express and be ourselves because we are too caught up in the cultured European society of please and thank you? And in this cultured world of class and politeness have we just forgotten to be ourselves? And is our view of ourselves so low that we feel like what we have to say isn't worth listening to?

Maybe yes and maybe no but regardless we don't gain much from suppressing our thoughts. In the end, we may give value to others, which is fine, but from that conclusion our logical mind deduces that if the others are 'important' then surely we are not. (If something is right then something must be wrong.) But this may not be the case at all, just the way the logical mind is working. And if our mood is low enough about ourselves we believe this mind of ours and fail to honor our own true uniqueness. We live outside of our very own center and put all of our faith on this logical mind.

If we could just have a little friendliness towards our logical mind, a little sweetness towards our self and rest calmly in our own center then maybe we could foster the courage to speak our very own truth. Then look out world!

Celebrate yourself. 'You' are the only 'you' there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment