Opus 1

Opus 1
beauty and truth

Monday, March 15, 2010

running, great ideas and daring to be unique


Nature doesn't grow in straight lines. Our trees aren't really shaped like picture perfect little gumdrop sculptures and when I get out of bed in the morning my hair doesn't sit perfectly straight. So why are we spending our time ordering, trimming and fixing nature, ourselves and whatnot into the images that are in our heads? And where are these images and pictures coming from? Am "I" making them up or have they been given to me? And who is this "I" anyway? Why is my being giving the driving seat to this "I"? Where is the resume for this "I"? Let me see it! In so many places we are asked for credentials and proof. No one seems to be asking the "I" that is running my life for any proof and all that is happening is running, running and more running.

Maybe we need to feel like we are in control of something so we trim and order and this "I" is telling us to do so. So we oblige. A slave to the "I". Being in control of our image and environment makes us feel like we exist. Like we are someone, a solid entity, with ideas and not only ideas but with what we think of as great ideas. What makes them great? Well at least one minute they are great and the next minute maybe we have already changed our minds and then they are not so great. It is only those who are stubborn enough to stick with one idea long enough who really make it out there in the so-called world with these so-called great ideas.

Can we truly control our image of our self and unruly hair(I could plug a great product right now but won't) or nature? So why are we trying? What would it be like if I went to work with my unruly hair? Or if I didn't perfect my yard and lawn (the yard is not really mine. I am pretending. I still rent)? Would my boss fire me on account of my hair? Or would the "I" receive a small blow? Would my neighbors think ill of me if I didn't trim the trees? Or would I just have a little more time to enjoy the place I call home? Whats wrong with that?

In trying to trim and fix maybe our friends will think that we are cool. And maybe we will feel that we finally fit in and that the moving, talking, trimmed, perfected self that I now call me (which couldn't be further from the truth but is what I have decided to project to the world) is hip and now has something to say! Watch out! "Hey! Look at me with my gumdrop trees, model hair-do, eating an all veg. vegan raw work of art sandwich that I don't even really like but it's GREEN so I bought it!" Yes, I bought it. And so did you. We bought a lot of things.
Tomorrow I am going to work without touching up my hair. I dare to be confident and unique! All our great artist dared to be unique.

Dare to be yourself. Dare to be unique. Dare to be an artist. Double dog dare ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment